Monday, January 21, 2013

Snow Glad To See You!

We got a light dusting of snow, just enough to make the ground mostly white again.  I missed the snow terribly.  I love the changing of the seasons here.  It seems like just when you've had enough of what is usually, a horribly humid, hot, summer it transitions to fall then winter.  I love the fact that you can bundle up in the winter, and even in town, be mostly alone.
  It is so much fun to go out on the worst days, with snow blowing and only your eyes showing and walk in the white silence of Winter.  The steam from my mouth travels up the scarf and ends up making my eyelashes freeze periodically.  I love that feeling!
  I never claimed I was normal...
  I am Wiccan after all, and that apparently makes me weird to start.
The snow is also precipitation we desperately need.
I have big plans for this year that I hope can actually pan-out.
Gardens to plow and bedrooms to re-do.  Walls to tear down and chicken coops to go up.  Last year we were in town and the dust was bad enough to breathe in and blow out, not good in the best of circumstances.  Here in the midwest, that dust carries toxic pesticides as well.  I stopped hanging my clothes out to dry, as I'd take them in dirty again.  Many of the little lakes/ponds that are actually safe to fish in, went stagnant and near dry.  A lot of fish died.  I didn't fish once last year.  The lakes that aren't spring-fed are also drying up, and were very smelly (partly fish-kills), and so hot that it was not worth the trip to swim in.  My son and I hiked in dry creek beds and stayed up late for our walks because even after the sun set, temperatures would hover near 100 degrees.  For people that like to be outside and do outdoor stuff, it has been a rough time already.
  That was just year 1 of the drought! The drought will undoubtedly continue, but hopefully, we will still manage some good moments this year.
  Really, I suppose us witches ought to get together and start working for rain, but I am uncertain that we should interfere.  Perhaps this drought is the only thing that will make people see just how dependent we are on our environment.
  Tread lightly on the earth, for She is our Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merry Part! Leave a comment if you wish!